• 1 Post By Tucson Bill
  • 2 Post By Iamscotticus
  • 1 Post By Janster
  • 1 Post By CaryBosse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Forum Search

It's common advice in these forums to do a search for your topic before you post. It's advice I concur with. However, if you're a member of several forums some hosting software is better than others, and not all search engines are created equal. Searching this site is frustrating for two basic deficiencies.

First the engine won't include search terms with less than four letters, no matter how relevant to the search. Whatever you're searching for

AMP MPG USB ZR1 ZR2. GAS. OIL OEM FIX 4WD GM GMC HID are all terms that won't help you.

The second is the inclusive OR logic used. i.e. the search returns all posts/threads that contain any term in your search phrase. Relevance is apparently determined by how many of the search terms are included -- which is good as far as it goes. Why does this matter? Many terms in your search may be common in many posts, possibly even two of your search terms in the same post but not in the order and context of your search

Better is the option to a) include terms of any length and to specify searching for the exact phrase.

I can always modify the search if I've made it too narrow, MHO

BTW, I did search on "forum search" and "search engine" before I posted. I did find one post where a user opined that the search features of the forum aren't great -- as an aside to chiding someone for not doing an adequate search.

Mean time google is still my friend.

If the only tool in your box is a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:37 PM

@Tucson Bill,

With the caveat that I can't spell "IT" much less know anything about information technology, my thoughts:

- I think a lot of forums require a certain number of letters for word searches to prevent the search engine from bogging down. A search on a 3 letter combo can sometimes really crash a system.

- a google search with the website www.coloradofans.com and the various combinations may be useful. I wanted to find some of the threads on the key fobs from AJT, but couldn't remember who the manufacturer was. I could not search "key" and "fob" here since both were 3 letter words. Google got me there.

- It is easy if you have been around a while to know what to search for. As an example, anytime someone asks about wiring in a trailer brake controller, I immediately think of the thread by @Reverendbiker and do a search on "controller" without the quotes and put in his handle for the user who posted. Also, if you have been around, you know we refer to that front lower plastic piece as a "dam" or "air dam" - usually with some expletive attached. Granted that is 3 letters, but it still is easier to remember standard terminology if you have been here a while. For a new person, there is no benchmark to start from.

I think one of the most glaring examples of how to search is the wing nut that holds the cover in place for the fuse box behind the kick panel, passenger side. How many people have posted a picture of that part when they found it lying on the floorboard and trying to figure out where it goes? What do you search on?
Toughsox and GregDAP like this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryBosse View Post
- I think a lot of forums require a certain number of letters for word searches to prevent the search engine from bogging down. A search on a 3 letter combo can sometimes really crash a system.
What led me to post this part was reading a post that mentioned the "HID Problem". I wondered what the problem was so I searched "HID Problem" Needless to say, it didn't even find the post that caused me to search. I searched five other forums I belong to for "HID". Four returned hits, one found no hits. None of them excluded the search, and none of them crashed

Quote:
- a google search with the website www.coloradofans.com and the various combinations may be useful.
Exactly.

Quote:
- It is easy if you have been around a while to know what to search for. As an example, anytime someone asks about wiring in a trailer brake controller, I immediately think of the thread by @Reverendbiker and do a search on "controller" without the quotes and put in his handle for the user who posted. Also, if you have been around, you know we refer to that front lower plastic piece as a "dam" or "air dam" - usually with some expletive attached. Granted that is 3 letters, but it still is easier to remember standard terminology if you have been here a while. For a new person, there is no benchmark to start from.
Would that I only wanted to find posts that I know exist and know who the author was! I'm usually looking for posts that I don't know exist. BTW common 3 letter terms frequently used here that you can't search on was kind of my point. WRT "when you've been around a while..." I commonly find that forum members confuse being a new member with being a NOOB. I've been doing this since the days of 300 baud dial up bulletin boards, and although i'm 73 years old, I'm still pretty quick to pick up new terminology.
Toughsox and 16WhiteColly like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 PM

Unfortunately having more that 3 letters for each keyword in search is actually pretty common. If your on a site that hasnt set that minimum, then, well, youre lucky. Try elaborating if you can.

Also dont forget that you can restrict your searches to just the topic title or any hit in any post. You'll get better results if youre looking for a specific topic and remember a key word in the title and just search on title.

Additionally you can restrict your search to a specific member. Very helpful if you know who posted what youre looking for

If you MUST search with a 3 letter abbreviation you'll need to use Google. Use the "site:" limiter to restrict Google searches to just this site.
ie. site:coloradofans.com XXX
Toughsox and GregDAP like this.

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
Unfortunately having more that 3 letters for each keyword in search is actually pretty common. If your on a site that hasnt set that minimum, then, well, youre lucky. Try elaborating if you can.
https://www.vinylengine.com/
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php
https://www.dbstalk.com/community/index.php
https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/c...ics-university
JP1Remotes :: Index
Quote:
If you MUST search with a 3 letter abbreviation you'll need to use Google.
Gee. I'd never have sorted that out without your help. Except for the part where it was already discussed in this thread. Thanks for treating me like an idiot.
MaineMan likes this.

Last edited by Tucson Bill; 06-12-2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: sp
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Bill View Post
https://www.vinylengine.com/
https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php
https://www.dbstalk.com/community/index.php
https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/c...ics-university
JP1Remotes :: Index
Gee. I'd never have sorted that out without your help. Except for the part where it was already discussed in this thread. Thanks for treating me like an idiot.

Wow... completely uncalled for. Pretty sure he was just trying to help

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
LOL Yeah, just like you're helping by moving this post to where no one will ever see it.

I don't like being treated like I'm stupid, and I also don't like being quoted without context.

As in "Try elaborating if you can." and "If you MUST search with a 3 letter abbreviation you'll need to use Google" .
16WhiteColly likes this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 AM

Garage
Im very guilty of creating redundant threads. there are a few subjects pertinent to this vehicle that come up over, and over, and over, (one more time) and ooooovvvveeeeerrrr. My favorite is the guys who ask what those slots, left of the steering, wheel are? OMG.
I totally get the "forum etiquette " to search first. However, In the defense of several guys, and cool wrench slinging chicks, I recall those posters who did an amount of searching first, but still didn't find their subject before posting!
Correct, the forum search ain't all that.
However, I wouldn't say its useless either. I have found my subjects using it, especially if I restrict the range to a specific sub-forun.
Which leads me to this: I do wish the 2nd Gen forum were better organized and there were more variety of sub-forums. This would help narrow down search results.
Janster and Tucson Bill like this.

All gave some, some gave all, protesters gave nothing.
11/17 Colorado 12T43 4X4 Z71 3.6 LGZ CCLB Deepwood green Pedal Commander (City-2) AMP Power Boards Weather Tech mud flaps GM Elastomeric floor liners Hellwig 7745 Sway Bar Mobil1 LV ATF-HP Transmission Drain Plug Currie CE9027 Gorilla Wheel locks
Please don't use PhotoBucket, You're wasting your time

Last edited by Iamscotticus; 06-13-2019 at 12:42 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:05 AM

I will say that I amost exclusively access this, and all other forums I belong to, using the Tapatalk app on a tablet or cell phone and searching from a mobile device is generally frustrating. It just never seems to work the same as searching from a PC. It's not as easy to see what section or sub-forum you are in and also makes the possibility of starting a new post in the wrong area MUCH more likely. Plus signatures don't generally show up so when someone says "xxx is in my signature" I never see that.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

'19 ZR2 Bison
3.6L V6 / Crew Cab
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:59 AM

I'll totally agree - the search on this forum is awful. I mean, for something that's supposed to be *User friendly* and *for beginner forum users* .... not nearly as good as other forums I've used.

I can't even find my own posts that I've started - I've had to go into my profile and find them that way. I've been around 3 years - but I can't remember jack-shit when it comes to user names or 'other information' in threads.

But yea, Google has been the saving grace.....
16WhiteColly likes this.

www.lieblweb.com
2016 GMC Canyon
2015 Infinity QX70s
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Bill View Post
LOL Yeah, just like you're helping by moving this post to where no one will ever see it.

I don't like being treated like I'm stupid, and I also don't like being quoted without context.

As in "Try elaborating if you can." and "If you MUST search with a 3 letter abbreviation you'll need to use Google" .
I moved this thread to the area where the admins who can make changes to the forum would see it... that's what you want isn't it? To have a better search function? The admins regularly check the site help section. And this section is just as visible to other forum members as any other section.

I think you have taken mine and the other mods comments way too personal. If you have a problem with me or any other forum moderator feel free to contact the admins about that as well. Have a good day

2011 Colorado CC Z71 2LT 4X4 3.7L with a few mods.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I'll totally agree - the search on this forum is awful. I mean, for something that's supposed to be *User friendly* and *for beginner forum users* .... not nearly as good as other forums I've used.

I can't even find my own posts that I've started - I've had to go into my profile and find them that way. I've been around 3 years - but I can't remember jack-shit when it comes to user names or 'other information' in threads.

But yea, Google has been the saving grace.....
Maybe I can throw in another lesson here, based on Jan's commits.

If you are looking for a thread you started, it should be easy to search.

- Go to Search function.
- Can you remember any word (over 3 letters) you used in the title? Perhaps any unusual word you used in the body of the thread? Put that in the search criteria.
- Select the drop down box under the search box and choose title or entire thread.
- Over on the left side, you can put in a handle. I assume if you are looking for a thread you posted to or started, you know your handle.
- Select the drop down box under the handle and you can select posts by a person, or posts started by a person.
- Under this you have search options. I rarely play with any of the date fields, I don't find them that useful. However, I notice there is an option to have it return posts or threads - I may play with that next time I do a search.
- On the right side, you can choose the forums. I usually limit this to 2nd Gen, and make sure the child forums box is marked. Originally, we did not have as many sub-forums and the selection of forums is so poorly done sometimes, it is easier for me to just search it all.

After a few searches, you can start to get the hang of it and then you learn how to pick search words that are more pinpoint.

Hope this helps a few people utilize the search function. I agree it has its limits, but I tend to deal with the tools I have and figure out how to make them work. (I do miss the days the tools at my disposal included a Bridgeport, a lathe, and a welding machine.)
Janster likes this.

2015 Canyon SLT, Copper Red, 2WD, CC, SB, V6, Tow, blk leather, factory spray liner, safety pkg, generic roll up bed cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Replaced OEM at 70k with Michelin LTX Defender

Please add a vehicle description to your Signature Line in your USER CP so we know what you are driving and can more appropriately insult you.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Just getting caught back up here and HOLY CRAP. WTF OVER?
@Tucson Bill I didnt read all the replies before I posted but I'm glad you took it so well. And thanked me so kindly for any input.

For anyone that cares. I moved the topic to the Help section yesterday which is when I found people couldnt reply in the Help section. I then moved it back to Off Topic and we've taken the issue up with the ADMIN team.

I think there was some confusion and that's why it was moved back to Help. I just moved it back to catch up and that's when I caught up on the OP comments.

Since OP @Tucson Bill obviously needs no help and just wanted to bi7ch. Im closing this thread as he's voiced his concerns and this is over.

2016 Brownstone Duramax Z71 View My Build

N00bs click here for free help

PS: All my posted photos are dead because PhotoBucket sucks. If you need a pic restored PM me a link to the post and Ill fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode